I don’t consider myself much of a risk taker, although I imagine every day we get out of bed is something of a risk. About thirteen or so years ago, I took a pretty big risk when I set about trying to sell my cheesecakes and cookies.
I’d been baking for years with great success for friends, family, and co-workers; the encouragement to get paid for what I love to do prompted this:
The first year I took orders from co-workers and family, who either didn’t have the time or inclination, to do their own holiday baking. I’d made an attractive brochure that included some pictures and an order form. Of course there was an “order by” to insure delivery for the holidays, but invariably someone would want something and I would do my best to oblige.
My kitchen would become a factory setting for mixing, baking and creatively packaging all the goodies. I would work full days at “real job” and every night and weekend from the day after Thanksgiving until December 25th, my kitchen was in a constant state of production.
For three consecutive years I took orders in October and November in preparation for the season. Baskets of cookies and biscotti; cheesecakes, milky way cakes, sour cream coffee cakes filled my freezer. Mind you I didn’t have a very big freezer, so the front hallway and second floor balcony porch doubled as cold storage for the inventory needed to fill my orders.
Since then some of the tools of the trade have improved, as have several of my recipes and techniques. With the exception of the holiday season I found myself unemployed, I haven’t baked for profit in about eight years. There were times I thought “I could be the next Mrs. Fields”. However, the idea of the risk involved in truly branching out to run my own business, is not a risk I can take right now.
I [almost] always find a great deal of joy in the process of baking. Today, I want to thank all those friends, family members and co-workers, who placed orders; and, more importantly, continue to believe in my baking talents!
- My Giant Step – Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Four Things I Learned About Freedom From an Uber-Strict Prep School | Kosher Adobo
- Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon- Being Independent | Journeyman
- I Think My Leg Is Broken | Musings | WANGSGARD.COM
- Rocket To The Moon . | Crossroads
- A Rainy Day At Home (short story) and The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- One Crazy Mom » Taking the Next Step
- I’m Michael Jackson | Knowledge Addiction
- I Will Weather | Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon | likereadingontrains
- DP Daily Prompt: Walking On The Moon | Sabethville
- Walking On The Moon – You Kidding! | Views Splash!
- Daily Prompt: The Giant Step — A Haiku: Sunday, February 23, 2014 | LisaRosier.com
- It’s All About Trying… | Life Confusions
- S. Thomas Summers: Writing with Some Ink and a Hammer | A Violin on Baker Street
- Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon | Here I am !!